“The Duke of Edinburgh’s Award has helped countless young people on their sometimes difficult path to adulthood.”
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh
For the past seven decades, the charity has inspired and transformed the lives of millions of young people from all walks of life. From volunteering to physical activities, life skills to expeditions, achieving a DofE Award is a passport to a brighter future, valued by employers and universities.
|DofE Co-ordinator||Ms A Moat|
|Telephone Number:||01485 534541|
What is DofE About?
The Duke of Edinburgh (DofE) programme is a real adventure from beginning to end. It does not matter who you are or where you’re from. You just need to be aged between 14 and 24 and realise there’s more to life than sitting on a sofa watching life pass you by.
By doing your DofE, you're in for an amazing adventure and masses of fun as you take part in a range of activities, all leading to the achievement of an award that's recognised by universities and employers alike.
For more information about DofE within West Norfolk Academies Trust and Smithdon High School click on the link below:
If you are interested in taking part then please contact:
Ms A Moat
Smithdon High School Duke of Edinburgh Co-ordinator
Award Levels and Timescales
There are three levels of programme you can do which, when you've successfully completed them, lead to a Bronze, Silver or Gold Duke of Edinburgh’s Award.
The main differences between them are:
- The minimum length of time it takes to complete them,
- How challenging it is
- The minimum age you can start - Depending on your age, you are free to start at any level but most people prefer to try for Bronze and work upwards. There are age restrictions for each one so it makes sense to build yourself up rather than dive in at the deep end.
|Bronze||for those aged 14+ years|
|Silver||for those aged 15+ years|
|Gold||for those aged 16+ years|
Smithdon High School , at present, only runs the Bronze Award Scheme.
The tables below show the minimum timescales for achieving the Bronze level. We've put the length of time in months. You need to show regular activity and commitment during this time averaging at least one hour a week.
You can't achieve an Award in a short burst of enthusiasm over one weekend!
Benefits of an DofE Award
The benefits of achieving a DofE Award at any level are endless.
It’s difficult to list them all but, you should definitely know:
- how much fun you’ll have
- how pushing yourself to do new things will help you to grow in confidence and develop useful skills.
- how meeting new people will inspire you and lead to lasting friendships. And
- how a DofE Award can give you the edge when you apply for college, university or a job.
Simply, the DofE is about helping you along the path to a productive and prosperous future. As many of our participants say, it’s life-changing.
Forms and Additional Information
More information can be found about the DofE by clicking on the links below:
Please click on the links below to download the forms relevant to your enrolment/award:
- Agreement Form
- Bitesize Planner
- Expedition Training Framework
- Parents Welcome Leaflet - Bronze Award