At Smithdon High School we are proud of our students’ presentation and schoolwear. We believe that wearing a uniform is a badge of pride: it is part of our school identity and allows students to feel part of our strong community. By wearing our uniform correctly our students are all presented equally and can begin to understand the importance of respect within an organisation.
Please find details below regarding our Smithdon school uniform. Our school blazer, tie, skirt and jumper are purchased through the school shop. All other items can be purchased from regular school suppliers.
Please read our clear expectations carefully beforehand to ensure that money is not wasted on items that will not be accepted. If you are at all unsure or have any questions please do get in touch.
You will also find a list of equipment in this section: all students are expected to bring the basic equipment with them every day. There are also some recommended items that students may find useful.
If you need financial support in purchasing school uniform and/or supplies please contact the school finance office who will be happy to give advice and support.
- Navy blazer with school badge embroidered on the breast pocket (from school supply) must be worn at all times around the school site. Blazers may be removed in classrooms with the class teacher’s permission. In hot weather, the Headteacher may give permission for blazers to be carried instead of worn.
- School ‘clip-on’ tie (from school supply).
- Grey full length tailored trousers – no jeans, chinos, cords, skinny trousers, leggings or jeggings - with plain black socks that come up over the ankle. Trousers must be loose at the ankle.
- Compulsory school skirt (from school supply), with plain black or grey tights or black socks.
- Plain white formal shirt (stiff collared, buttoned to collar and tucked in).
- Black school shoes – no trainers or shoes with sports logo, no high heels, platforms, sling backs or backless shoes. Shoes need to be safe to wear in a variety of school environments.
- Outdoor coat (to and from school) - please note denim or leather jackets are not permitted.
- School Jumper is optional; however sweatshirts or hooded sweatshirts are not permitted.
- If a belt needs to be worn (through belt loops), it must be plain black without motifs, embellishments or decoration. Belt buckles
- PE Kit consists of a red polo shirt or football shirt (with name on the reverse), black shorts, black sweatshirt (with name on the reverse) and red socks (all from school supply).
- Piercings – no visible body/facial piercings including tongue piercings, nose piercings and ear ‘tunnels’ are to be worn: this includes the wearing of clear (or other) retainers.
- One small pair of plain stud earrings may be worn but must be removed to allow pupils to participate in PE.
- Please do not allow your child to have a piercing done during term time as retainers will not be allowed.
- No rings, necklaces or bracelets are to be worn (Medical necklace/bracelets are allowed).
- Pupils may wear a wristwatch.
- Light make-up may be worn but must be discreet and natural.
- No false eyelashes.
- Hair may not be dyed bright or ‘unnatural colours’. Shaved or stylised in a distracting way.
- No nail varnish.
- Acrylic/Gel/Nexgen nails or tips are not allowed in school. This is a Health & Safety risk.
Every day students must be prepared to learn with the correct basic equipment: pen, pencil, ruler, rubber, they may also find coloured pencils useful. For maths lessons a compass and protractor will be required.
A scientific calculator is now a compulsory piece of school equipment and students are required to have one with them at all times.
Students are expected to have a reading book with them at all times.
Purchasing School Uniform
Please click on the link below to purchase the required school uniform from our online shop.
For further information on ordering school uniform please click on the links below:
Learner Support Fund - Application for Uniform Assistance
The Learner Support Fund is a discretionary source of financial help available to all registered full time Academy students. The aim of the Fund is to help students who have difficulties in paying for certain items necessary to facilitate their education, and the purchasing of school uniform is one of those items.
If you think you may be eligible for the Learner Support Fund to purchase school uniform from our shop then please click the link below to download the criteria and the application form:
For further information and assistance on other areas of eligibility please contact the school direct on 01485 534541